Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tips for Sally (&Tina's) Move

How to ROCK moving yourself.
Moving Tips and ooooh so much more.

Todays post is dedicated to Sally (and Hubby Jack too) who just got her dream house. And to anyone else who maybe be moving in the near future. Some back story, I have moved my whole life. I have never lived in the same house/town for more than 4 years (that was the 4 years i was in high school). OK ENOUGH BACK STORY!

If you can pay someone else to pack and move for you do it. and don't read this post.
unless you like me :) then read it...

Numero Uno!
  • PURGE. Go through your clothes, furniture and applicances. Donate and sell on craigslist. Rule of thumb i use for clothes, if you haven't worn in 2 years gone, if you can't part with it don't (ill come back to this in a bit).
  • Sell your couch that you KNOW wont fit or be right in your new place, craigslist, etc. One mans trash...
DOOO!
  • Pack the shit you already have packed. does that make sense? Pack the stuff shoved in cubies, closets, rubbermaids, garages, basements, etc. its likely you won't need any of it prior to the move.
DOOO and HALF!
  • I have always gotten my boxes from craigslist and hoarding them. Not for everyone.
  • General rule of thumb for craigslist items; "if it smells like a duck, if its sounds like a duck, and if it looks like a duck, then its probably a duck." same goes for shit.
  • Barnes and Noble SOMETIMES will give you their boxes. at my local one you have to call and make an appointment to pick them up. Hit up your local grocery (i dont do this, food attracts bugs, but i know lots of people who do).
Son of a Sea Cook!
Ok #1 should have been book movers or a truck. Always error on the side of a bigger truck. If you move your self its WAY cheaper to go big and make one trip, than pay mileage to go back and forth.  Hit up your local u-haul, they often have day labors boards and you can grab a cons number and they will move your shit. tip your hat to society.

SEVEN!
  • Pack your stuff safely, bubble wrap is expensive. Its also worth it.
  • My husband is not OCD about anything, EXCEPT packing shit carefully because of all the original art we own. was that pretentious? Best thing we do, is take any or all clothes we aren't currently using (we always move in summer) hoodies, sweat pants, pjs, tee shirts etc and use them to wrap stuff. Same with kitchen stuff. Works real well.
  • News paper is also a good way to go! start saving the paper at work if you don't get one at home. or ask a friend or co-work to for you.
  • DO NOT PACK ANY TOWELS or BLANKETS. you can use that stuff to cover any furniture you need to protect on the truck. Towels and sheets also work as great packing for fragile stuff and art and kitchen junk. 
igiveita TEN!
  • ask for help. If your friends are stupid awesome enough to help. BUY THEM FOOD AND DRINKS! They are helping you move, you owe them a good meal. I do not believe this is "i owe you for life" sort of thing. If you order pizza or make me food we are even.
Sidebar: i love moving soooo much.
I am so good at it.
its like the only thing i am sure i am good at.
So invite me and ill come help you move, i expect free food. ;)
I may or may not have helped friends in St. Louis move this spring and had a blast.

TEN and a HALF
  • IF you get friends or family to help, be packed when the arrive. None of this "oooo we need help packing." have that shit done.
LAST
If you made it through this VERY long post I am gonna give you the best advice from my years of experience moving myself.

ready....
bare with me, just hear me out.

pick up your truck the night before and fill it with everything EXCEPT your bed. Make sure you leave room for it along the side or something. Then lock your truck up for the night. Drank, sleep. Wake up refreshed and rested for another day of moving. Helps if you have two different groups of foolish awesome friends one for the night one for the day.

Trust me. Just trust me on this.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional mover. just someone that enjoys moving shit way too much. my advice; take advantage of that if you know me.

3 comments:

  1. such good tips! moving is the worst and the less shit you have the better. I swear next time i move I want to be down to just clothes and my favorite art nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post. I'm moving here in the next 6 months, so all that is really good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up!! You love moving so much?! The only thing I love is PURGING!! I like a nice, empty house. :) Thanks for the tips, my dear!! - Sally

    ReplyDelete