Thursday, January 16, 2014

Sharkbite and a burst pipe

Its not what you think, i didn't visit that part of Florida for the holidays. (read:swamps)

We got new clickers for opening our garage, only problem is they weren't working right and we kept thinking we had fixed the problem.
Polar Vortex hits, middle of the night our garage opened, unbeknownced to us.
Morning, no water.
Yup, our pipes froze.
So we went to work all gross.
I was so stressed i finally just took a half day to go deal with it.
When i got back.
3 pipes had burst.

We got super lucky on all accounts. First very little water because we shut of the main when we realized that morning.

Second, what my head had invisioned as a pipe burst, was over dramatic. This is what it looks like.

Third, two of my breaks were AFTER the shut of value for a facute in the garage that we dont use. So i just shut them off.

Fourth & Fifth. Plumber put me on a wait list till "maybe Thursday". My dads the best. I was frequently calling my Dad, he started sending me videos on how to fix it myself.

Off to the store i went for a Sharkbite. soldering-less way to fix a burst pipe.
Of course i had to buy a pipe cutter, duh, I am a new home owner.

Copper. I followed the video i found of Sharkbite replacing a burst pipe and the instructions on the bag.


About this point i had an anxiety attack.
Head between knees.
Just breathe.
Dad text message "I believe in you, you can do this!"
My dad wins again.

Sharkbite slipped on to the 'slip-on' edge just fine.
My phone rings, its the plumber who i was on wait list for 3 days later. They were in my neighborhood and would be over in 10 mins. Divine Intervention!

I couldn't quiet to get fitting down on the bottom portion of my pipe.
But a plumber came, popped it on and turned on the water. He told me i bought the right brand and that they had several on the truck.
Then.... He didnt charge me!

How many good things can happen!?!?! Seriously.
We got so lucky. I believe in God and i was sure to be thankful immediately after the plumber left. may have cried a bit.

Sharkbite was in all the local Harware stores, and i was able to pick one up for about $11. For not having to sweat (thats what its called when you asolder copper pipes together) new copper in there i was very happy.

However, only downside, apparently you have to be a man in order to actually install it. i jest but seriously, i could not get it back down far enough against my other portion of pipe. i was just going to wait until my spouse got home.

Sharkbite was quick and easy to use except that i wasn't entirely strong enough. Sharkbite is not paying me to say any of this, all my opinions are my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment